As the trend of modern, light-and-thin gaming laptop is growing in recent years, the weight of gaming laptop is no longer a burden for gamers. As gaming laptops become more portable, it is difficult to implement full-functioned I/O ports. Hence, Thunderbolt™ has become a savior that offers multiple functions in one port, and now is frequently applied in portable gaming laptops, including MSI GS66 and Stealth 15M.
Introduction of Thunderbolt™
Thunderbolt™ is an exclusive protocol that only applied in Intel platform. To be friendly among users, it adopts Type-C interface which is beneficial for those who are annoyed by carrying varieties of cable and weighty adaptors. Thunderbolt™ is currently the fastest and most versatile interface that offers up to 40Gbps bandwidth for data transferring, 100W power-in supply, and daisy chain connection, which can connect multiple devices simultaneously. In addition, gamers could expand the vision across matrix display and enjoy up to 8K resolution, then saturating themselves into the gaming vibe.
Furthermore, Thunderbolt™ Networking allows direct data transferring among two or more laptops in up to 10Gbps speed. As a result, gamers no longer need portable hard disk to copy/paste or upload/download the games and waste time in transferring or downloading, just simply drag and drop the game files to another computer through Thunderbolt™ networking.
Transfer the game files through Thunderbolt™ Networking
Simply connect two or more computers by using Thunderbolt™ 3 or 4 cable and enjoy 10Gbps Thunderbolt™ Networking, and the transfer speed is around 10 times faster than normal LAN adapter in real life!
*The tested models in this section are GS66 and Stealth 15M which support Thunderbolt™ 3 and 4, but Thunderbolt™ Networking is also applied in prior generation.
To transfer game files and play through steam, you have to setup Thunderbolt™ networking first, then copy the game files and start steam.
Here are the steps to enable game file sharing through Thunderbolt™ Networking:
1. Go to setting
2. Select Network & Internet
3. Select Network and Sharing Center
4. Select Change advanced sharing settings
5. In All Networks Section: Turn off password protected sharing, turn on public folder sharing
6. In Guest or Public section: turn on Network discovery and File and printer sharing
7. In Private section: turn on Network discovery and File and printer sharing
8. Right click on the hard disk you want to share, select advanced sharing under Give access to
9. Select Advanced Sharing
10. Click Permissions
11. Select ”Everyone” and tick all allow check boxes
12. Repeat above steps on another computer
13. Make sure you have the software “Thunderbolt™ Control Center” installed. Once two computers are connected through Thunderbolt™ cable, another computer’s name will show up in Thunderbolt™ Control Center.
14. The name of another connected computers will also show up on desktop as a shortcut icon. Click it and you are ready to transfer files by just drag and drop.
Here are the steps to transfer game files:
(assuming the steam account on another computer has the same game and is installed)
1. Locate the game file folder, normally under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common, we will use Cyberpunk 2077 here as an example, the total game file size is 62.3 GB
2. Click the shortcut on the desktop that pop up after you connect Thunderbolt™ cable to another computer, here we use GS66 as an example
3. Here we choose public, and click Public downloads folder
4. Drag Cyberpunk 2077 folder to download folder, it takes only around a minute for 62.3GB file
5. On GS66, Go to C:\Users\Public\Downloads then drag Cyberpunk 2077 folder
To C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common
6. Open steam, click install on Cyberpunk 2077 page, and wait for file validation
7. Cyberpunk 2077 install button become “Play”
8. Done, enjoy the game!
Now, enjoy the multi-functional Thunderbolt™ and Thunderbolt™ Networking through MSI GS66 and Stealth 15M.
For further product information please find the link below: